Friday, November 16, 2012

Blogging Social Differences in L.A.: Week 7



So far, through my “Blogging Social Differences in the L.A. Metropolitan Region” explorations, I have considered differences in issues that should really be uniting among humanity, soaked up the embodiment of Gemienschaft in a cozy coffee shop, experienced the dissolving of differences through music in an ever changing venue to match its audiences, explored Manchester-like thoroughfares, and considered micro communities of ethnic agglomerations.  My initial question for this blog was to identify differences in L.A.  I expected the differences to occur in clusters and have strict boundaries.  Thus far, I have found this to generally be the case—in the micro communities and Manchester-like thoroughfares.  However, I have witnessed environments that dissolve differences too.

This week I decided to explore something that would provide a snapshot of the many clusters in L.A.  As a result, I witnessed differences in an entirely new light.

I took the Metro bus line 2 from the Hilgard Ave. and Westholme Ave. stop ten miles to the subway off of Sunset Blvd. and  N. Vermont Ave.   Buses in L.A. are a rather unnerving experience.  I understand now why L.A. is such an automobile dominated city.  After taking the bus, my preference for cars here was solidified.  I appreciate the environmental argument for buses, but L.A. seriously needs to improve its public transportation system.  It makes me think of the David Harvey piece, “The Environment of Justice.”  Though L.A. is a relatively wealthy city, we choose to pollute it rather than invest in more environmentally friendly means of transportation.  This is the opposite of what Harvey argues—poorer regions accepting pollution, in particular pollution imposed by wealthier regions.  L.A. represents the idea of productive destruction, as the automobile clearly dominates as a means of transportation despite the pollution, traffic, accidents, headaches, etc., that it produces.       

As I got on the bus I was greeted by a gruff disengaged bus driver annoyed by naivety as I fumbled with my coins.  It was early in the evening but many of the seats were occupied.  I was relieved to settle into a window seat.  As I road I was aware of my fellow bus riders—some of them other students, several somewhat older Hispanic ladies, and in particular a man who smelled like urine and kept mumbling to himself, shouting indiscernible words each time someone pulled the yellow cord to initiate the “Stop Requested.”

Outside the window passed the luxurious homes of Beverly Hills off of Sunset Blvd.  Excessively luxurious.  I noticed few sidewalks which I understood to discourage visitors and lingering.  Then we passed the commercial strip of Sunset Blvd.  This was lined with trendy shopping, expensive brands on the billboards, and elegant restaurant after elegant restaurant.  As the bus continued east though, the sites became grungier and grungier and the bus became more and more full.  Finally after passing under the 101, my destination was within a stones throw.  I pulled the yellow cord to request my stop and was acknowledged by the man who smelled of urine with his shouts.  I was more than happy to get off the bus!  I met my boyfriend’s sister who works at the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles for a quick dinner, then back on the bus!   

The entire affair took much longer than I was expecting and it was very tiring.  But witnessing the differences of L.A. passing by my window was surreal due to the pace.  The differences are really in such close proximity to each other though they resemble entirely different economic classes, personalities of peoples, differences in cleanliness, etc.  You’d think they were entirely different cities rather than just subsections of L.A.


     I had to include this video because WeirdAl tweaked the song, "Another One Bites the Dust" to "Another One Rides the Bus," and his jokes are funny becaue they are true!  This is a long clip but anywhere between 1:30 and 2:30 captures the essence of it.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your description of the L.A. public transit system. It is interesting to think of social difference in L.A. not just as a geographical characteristic but also as a moving one. Los Angeles, being a city defined by the fourth urban revolution, is a city defined by auto mobility and the implications of that on urban life. That is probably why it is significant to see those who can't afford autos in order to really get a glimpse of the lower strata of society in the city. I could only assume you got a good sense of that with your encounter of the person smelling like urine.
    You made a good description of the people that were on the bus with you and of the path the bus took, whoever you didn't mention in which stops most people went on and off the bus. I would be interested to know where would most people got on the bus.
    Were they working in the rich areas and that was their commute home ? or was it something else ?
    Also, where did most went off the bus ? - I'm only assuming it wasn't in the rich Beverly Hills area you were describing.
    Great research work. Based on your work I will not be taking the bus anywhere, anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post because you clearly and descriptively described your bus trip down sunset. The different types of people that were passengers on the bus that you described certainly shed a light on the status of the people who use public transit. The variety of people upon the bus such as students, Hispanics, and what appeared to be a crazy or homeless man showed that the people on the bus were most likely not from this area that you left from. Then, your description of the surroundings along your ride showed a great difference in the cities going down sunset. There was clearly a difference in class and society going from Beverly Hills then farther east into L.A. I think this shows a great deal of how diverse Los Angeles really is. Although you did not mention the people that you saw outside of the bus, I'm sure you noticed a great difference in them as well as you looked out the window onto sunset. In the area where you noticed lavish restaurants and shops, I would assume that the majority of the public was white and that as you went further east into L.A., I'm sure the race and ethnicity got a bit more diverse. With the cities getting worse and more dirty, I would expect the race and class statistic to be represented by more Hispanics and blacks. With this in mind, it reminds me of one of the readings we read regarding toxic wastes locations. It would be no surprise to me if there was a toxic waste location close to the cities that you saw towards the end of your trip (east L.A.). The reading expressed how the lower class and minorities' homes were much more likely to be in closer proximity to a toxic waste location compared to that of a higher class/white society. Overall, great post. I think it really showed how different places are and how you can even tell how much the lifestyles are different just along a quick bus trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When looking at your post Sasha, I found that I had a similar experience on my bus ride through West Los Angeles. As I stepped foot on the bus I entered a portal that led me into a far different reality. The juxtaposition between the bus atmosphere and the college bubble we live in is insane. Often time's one gain's insight to the true Angelino when they step foot on a bus, seeing the diverse social fabric that makes up Los Angeles.You also mentioned about how often times different parts of LA seem like they truly did no fit in, I feel that this is exemplifying the grid like layout that metropolis cities have. Something that you did not fully touch on, but something I thought about while on the bus, was how streets can sometimes embody the inequality seen in a city. For example, at one point at a red light I looked out the bus window and saw one man driving to work in his Toyota Camry, another man getting his sports car getting parked via valet, and a homeless man sleeping next to me on the bus. The public transportation system is a constant reminder of the stark inequality that is facilitated in Los Angeles. On a similar but different note, I accredit the surplus of traffic in the city to the fact that the cost of driving is too cheap compared to the cost of living. This makes it so people have to travel very far from work in order to afford housing and drive or take a bus to get across town. This social fact should be considered in a cities planning. Another way to look at this though is as a functional benefit for the upper class. Marx often talks about ways the upper class strategically manipulates the lower class. It is interesting seeing the very wealthy drive their lavish cars across the city of L.A. in comfort while others take the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sasha! I felt compelled to respond to your blog post because I take this bus every day from Hollywood to UCLA and understand how crazy it can get. Your observations were interesting and insightful. I remember the very first time I took the bus - it was the 180 going towards Glendale and a man with a live snake around his neck boarded the bus. That was one of the scariest bus rides of my life!
    I've learned that the bus is highly unpredictable - you don't know who or how many people are going to get on at each stop - the composition of people can and do change dramatically. I agree that you can see the many different kinds of people that inhabit the city and it is a good example of the effect of social difference in the city.

    There is definitely a stigma attached to riding the bus in Los Angeles that isn't present in other major urban regions such as San Francisco, Chicago and New York. If you ride the bus in LA, it is assumed that you can't afford to drive a car. I don't know how accurate that is, but from my experiences and observations I believe this is true for the most part. I do know that bus riders usually have a lower socio-economic status that train riders, as trains usually have set times for commuters and go from suburbs to urbanized areas in a radial fashion, whereas the bus is much more extensive and covers the city in a grid pattern in addition to cutting through it (cross-city lines such as the 305). According to a survey administered by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority, only 25% of bus riders had a car available to make their trip compared with 45% of train riders. There is also a lower percentage of white/asian bus riders (16%) compared with train riders (28%). (Data found here: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/cpt/category/carstop/)

    Your idea about the poor state of the public transit in Los Angeles as an issue of environmental justice is interesting but a bit unclear. From what I understood you felt that the Los Angeles region as a whole is a community that is unfairly exposed to the negative effects produced by automobiles (air pollution, traffic congestion, accidents, etc). However, there is no outside agent that is pushing these things upon our city. I'd like to make the point that this automobility is embedded into the city. I believe this is because Los Angeles is a city of the fourth urban revolution - a city that grew along side the innovation of the automobile. This characteristic is widespread and inescapable and as much of a social and environmental benefit it would be to reinvest in public transportation, I doubt it would be very popular. Like you, I've noticed that the majority of bus riders are students, seniors, Latino/Hispanic and black individuals. I feel that people who can afford to drive cars now will not stop doing so just because the public transit has improved. There has to be real incentive to switch over to using the Metro (like you said, you are glad to be able to drive a car and not be dependent on the Metro). A few years ago when gas prices shot up (over $5/gallon I believe) more people abandoned their cars and started taking the metro because it was considerably more affordable.

    As a bus rider, I know how inefficient and frustrating it can be to take the bus but the system is not terrible. They are slowly making improvements. For example, there is now a function people can access online and on their phones called "Nextrip" which tells you when the next bus will arrive at your stop. I use this all the time and am grateful it exists! It's not always accurate but better than waiting around at a bus stop for half an hour.

    Thank you for the great post! I hope your next bus trip is better than the last. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sasha,

    I appreciated you sharing your honest experience on the bus. I have made the drive to Children’s Hospital before for a volunteer opportunity and I made similar observations as I drove down Sunset Boulevard. While I was one of the cars riding beside the bus, it is interesting to see how the dynamics of the neighborhoods change as you drive farther from our Westwood bubble. I think it’s great that you ventured out to this area and on the bus as it is a very far drive!

    Just as Ellen stated, riding the bus is an unpredictable experience but it is interesting to see who gets on the bus when and where. I was most intrigued by your observation regarding public transportation and how that relates to Harvey’s argument in “The Environment of Justice.”

    As a Bay Area native, I have always valued the convenience of public transportation. The bus system is pretty efficient and BART is very user-friendly. I think Ellen’s point addressing Los Angeles as a product of the fourth urban revolution is valid and important to recognize. L.A. is centered on the automobile and does not cater to one urban core. Instead, there are a multitude of urban centers and in order to get from place to place you must have a car. However, the traffic and the effects on the environment due to the car are very frustrating. Therefore, it seems like it would be beneficial to invest in a system that does not necessarily focus on bringing individuals to one central location but instead focuses on connecting different communities. Although the city of Los Angeles has invested in the Metro and the bus system, it is not as widely used as other forms or public transportation in other mega cities. I think it would be beneficial for the city to look into ways to making the public transportation options safer or user-friendly in a way that would encourage people to utilize it. I think this would help mitigate negative stereotypes that are associated with public transportation in L.A. However, unfortunately, it seems as if the stigma associated with riding the bus is deeply embedded in the city and I am unsure if drivers will willingly make the switch.

    ReplyDelete