Friday, November 30, 2012

Blogging Social Differences in L.A.: Week 9

     I am respoding to Ellen's outstanding post about her visit to Watts:
http://adventuretimewithellen.blogspot.com/2012/11/blogging-social-difference-in-la-week-8.html?showComment=1354322374975#c532169621047570055

Hi Ellen,

      I loved your post! You really covered an important topic that perhaps other students (including myself) wouldn't feel as comfortable doing. (In retro-spec, looking at my own blog, I have rather a bias to more comfortable areas-- I need to change that! Thanks for the inspiration!) That must have been really unnerving though, to watch the Flying Lotus video again and realized that was the exact location you visited.

      I loved the contrast that the Hawking House of Burgers provided. Even with just the picture of the happy patrons, it captures a sense of community. The argument of education seems tangible from your experience. Most of Watts, it seems, has that eery unsafe feel, yet Hawkins House of Burgers, "the only place in Watts you'll find people with a college-level education," creates an entirely different and comfortable environment.

      Rather than a critique of your blog, I find a critique of our class. We have been studying Urban Cities and Social Differences all quarter in terms of race, class, gender, etc. We haven't really gone into depth on education though. Understandably so, because perhaps an entire class could be taught on just that subject.

      In sum though, I really appreciated your gumption, to visit Watts! And how you provided such an unexpected but tangible example of social differences due to educational differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment